Our C.R.E.W. program is currently full! If you could like to join the waitlist, feel free to fill out an application.
Interested in helping to care for the parks and ecosystems along the Charles? The Charles River Conservancy is starting a volunteer stewardship program called C.R.E.W. (Charles River Environmental Watch) and is searching for people interested in land stewardship.
As a member of the C.R.E.W., you can make a meaningful difference on your own schedule, from reporting on trail conditions and invasive plants online to picking up trash. You will be assigned a stretch of park that you will care for. Parks that C.R.E.W. members may be assigned to include parks along Memorial Drive, Greenough Boulevard, and Charles River Road, all sections of the parks that need more care and attention.
Once you’ve received the training and supplies needed, go out as often as you are able and have fun!
To be eligible, prospective volunteers must:
- Have a strong interest in stewardship of urban parks and ecosystems
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be physically able to monitor and perform minor maintenance of their assigned park area
- Commit to stewarding their park area for at least one year
- Visit their assigned park area at least once a month
- Complete a background check and fill out a waiver
- Perform general monitoring of assigned park area on a monthly basis, including invasive species, garbage dumping, and any hazards
- Document changes in the park areas via photos and written descriptions
- Fill out an online monitoring report after each visit
- Notify CRC staff directly about urgent problems
- Litter and debris clean-up
- Perform basic vegetation management where appropriate
- Act as an ambassador to park users when visiting assigned park area
- If you see a view or anything else you think is worth sharing, take a photo and share with the CRC team! We will share it on our social media with credit to you.
How to join the C.R.E.W.
Our C.R.E.W. program is currently full. If you would like to be placed on the waitlist, you may fill out a volunteer application! Afterwards, CRC staff will be in touch with you to arrange an interview that will help us get to know you better and gauge what site and responsibilities would be best suited for you. All prospective C.R.E.W. members also get to attend a training session and a site orientation. Once those are completed, the CRC will provide C.R.E.W. members with all the materials needed to care for your assigned sites, as well as regular emails to remind C.R.E.W. members to check in on their site if need be and to provide any pertinent news and updates.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com.